Bife Da Avo RiquettaBluff Meat Supply
CHEF’S NOTE: My great gran was always referred to as the rock of the family – the lady who made the decisions and the one who took care of everyone. She was also the one who made one of my all-time favourites. This is a simple and slightly out of the box dish that will hopefully make you smile as much as it does me.
- 1 kg beef
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp crushed peppercorns
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 2 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup white spirit vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the fillet in the bay leaves, pepper and thyme with 2 table spoons olive oil; do not salt the meat as it may toughen. Cover in cling film and set aside for at least an hour.
- Pour the rest of the oil into a cast iron pot on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the fillet and seal by browning on all sides. Once browned, add the onions, together with the spices, and stir for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Remove the meat from the heat and allow to rest before adding the vinegar, stock and salt to taste.
- Lower the heat and cook with the lid on for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Slice the fillet and serve warm with spaghetti